The crock pot provides one of the simplest, most convenient ways to cook delicious meals without spending much time in the kitchen.
It is particularly good for busy families, since all the cook has to do is throw the ingredients into the crock pot, turn the knob and the food will cook while the family is running around doing various activities.
Is it possible for gluten-free families to experience the convenience of crock pot meals too?
The answer is, yes! A plethora of quick and tasty gluten-free dishes can be made in the crock pot. They are also made in the same way that gluten-filled crock pot meals are made. Just mix all of the gluten-free ingredients together, put them in the crock pot and let the machine do the rest!
Our own family used the crock pot to make gluten-free casseroles, stews and soups while we were away from home during the day. It was wonderful to arrive at the house and be greeted by the mouth-watering aroma of hot stew or soup simmering in the crock pot, ready to eat! We usually left it to cook on low so that if we got home later than we anticipated, the food would not be overcooked.
There are lots of recipes for gluten-free stews and casseroles on the internet. We also created several of our own and they can all be found in our cookbook, Gluten-Free With Love. To make your recipe search simpler, I have included one our crock pot recipes in this article below, as well as a recipe from one of the leading gluten-free websites.
Five Hour Oven Stew
Note: This dish can be prepared either in the oven or in the crock pot.
Prep Time: 20 minutes.
Cooking Time: 5-6 or 10-12 hours.
Yields: 12 large servings.
- 1 ½ pounds of turkey sausage or stew beef, preheated according to the package instructions and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 5 medium sized potatoes, pared and cubed
- 2 cups of carrots, chopped into bite-sized cubes
- 1 cup of onion, chopped coarse
- 1 cup of celery, thickly sliced
- 2 (16-oz) cans of undrained, stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- Place all the ingredients in a large casserole dish (for the oven) or in a large crock pot (at least 3 quart).
- [In oven] Bake at 275 degrees F. for 5 hours. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
- [In crock pot] Cook on medium or low for approximately 10-12 hours. Serve hot.
Recipe obtained from Gluten-Free With Love by Tricia Fecteau, page 56.
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes.
Cooking Time: 4-5 hours.
Serves: 4-5 people.
- 2 lbs of grass-fed beef, cut into cubes
- Sea salt
- Light olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of fresh pearl onions, trimmed, peeled
- 2 good sized hefty gold potatoes, peeled, cut up
- 3 good sized carrots, peeled sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup of dry red table wine
- 4 cups of organic beef broth
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons of dried Italian or French herbs, to taste (thyme, sage, rosemary, basil, etc.)
- 1 bay leaf
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Salt the cubes of beef on all sides. Wait a few minutes.
- Get your crock pot situated and turn it on high.
- Heat a dash of light olive oil in a deep heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Brown the beef cubes on all sides to sear the flavor, using long tongs to turn the pieces.
- This only takes 5 minutes or so. Remove the beef and add it to the crock pot.
- Add in the garlic, pearl onions, potatoes, carrots and celery.
- Pour in the wine and broth. Stir.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, herbs and ground pepper.
- Cover and let it all simmer for 4-5 hours.
- The stew is ready when the beef and vegetables and tender.
- Test-taste the broth and add more salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar, if desired.
Recipe courtesy Gluten-Free Goddess
Now, you can relish the taste of a delicious, hot stew, a flavorful casserole or a relaxing soup made in this convenient kitchen device totally gluten-free! Each one of these is cooked slowly in the crock pot with no interference from you other than chopping the ingredients and adding them to slow cooker. Enjoy the goodness of gluten-free crock pot specialties!